Champions For Health is deeply grateful for the generous support of our sponsors and partners. Thank you to the following organizations for supporting the students and faculty at Morrilton Intermediate School as we work together on creating a school health model our entire state will benefit from in the future!
Many people ask, “Why did you select Morrilton Intermediate School for this pilot?” We chose this campus due to leadership both at the school and district level. The students on campus are healthier than the state's average rating for all schools. They were not selected due to BMI data collected by the state.
Karey Tapley, former MIS principal, agreed to partner with Champions For Health for the 2018-2019 school year, and current principal Sarah Stobaugh is just as excited as Karey is to implement this program! Our goal is to partner with more schools in Arkansas to implement this program once we develop a successful model.
Champions For Health's most significant assets are the members of our outstanding advisory committee. The collective wealth of knowledge and expertise from these dedicated volunteers is shaping every part of this initiative.
- Karey Tapley, former Principal; Sarah Stobaugh, current Principal, Morrilton Intermediate School (MIS)
- Zac Noland, Morrilton Intermediate School
- Todd Sparks, Morrilton Intermediate School
- Melinda Lentz, MIS Kitchen Manager
- Jerri Clark, Director, School Health Services, Arkansas Dept. of Education
- Tina Smith, Director, Policy and Special Projects, Arkansas Dept. of Education
- Amy Fecher – Chief Transformation Officer, Office of Governor Asa Hutchinson
- Miranda Morris, Executive Director, Arkansas Center for Health Improvement (ACHI)
- Sylvia Stewart, Executive Assistant, Arkansas Center for Health Improvement (ACHI)
- Dr. Tony Goudie, Director of Research and Evaluation, ACHI
- Carole Garner, Senior Associate, ACHI
- Beth Crowder, Arkansas Heart Hospital (AHH)
- Casey Atwood, Director of Food and Nutritional Services, AHH
- Sheron Wiess, Diabetic Educator, AHH
- Shelby Pierceall, Clinical Dietitian, AHH
- Christine Alongi, Director of Cardiac Intensive Rehab, AHH
- Jonathan Bierman, Gardener, AHH
- Dr. Jeremy Lyon, President, Youth Division, Cooper Institute, Dallas, TX
- Dr. Emily English, Program Administrator, Department of Pediatrics, AR Children’s Research Institute; Childhood Obesity Prevention Research Program
- Eric Grist and Darla Henry, Outreach Specialists, AR Children’s Hospital (CATCH Program)
- Charlotte Hall, Community Liaison, Whole Foods
- Marsha Masters, Associate Director, Economics Arkansas
- Sue Owens, Vickie Wingfield, Alicia McGee, Lauralee Neldon, Champions for Health staff
- Wendy Ward, Co-Director, Pediatric Psychology, UAMS and AR Children’s Hospital
- Shannon Autrey, Conway County Extension Agent, FCS
- Alex Handfinger, Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance, Cooking Matters
- Taren Swindle, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, UAMS
We are currently developing volunteer activities for our pilot initiative, so if you would like to know when opportunities arise, please complete the volunteer application form.